In recent years keeping chickens has become increasingly popular across the UK and if you’ve ever had experience of keeping chickens then you’ll know why we’ve all come to love it! You’ll get to know each individual chicken’s personality and the promise of fresh eggs in the morning isn’t something that you can pass up lightly!
Here at Cotswold Chickens, however, we understand that it can be difficult to get started with keeping chickens and that if you’re a complete beginner then you’ll need a helping hand to get going. We’ve put together some really quick and simple tips to set you on the right track:
- Your chickens’ feed comes in 3 different forms: crumb, pellet and meal/mash. If you ensure that your chickens’ diet is made up primarily of one of these types of feed then you’ll have happy chickens laying fantastic eggs.
- Hang fresh vegetation in the garden to give your chicks a varied diet and you’ll be rewarded with deep yellow, rich yolks.
- Don’t give your chickens too much maize or corn.
- Always supply your chickens will fresh water but keep an eye on the temperature. Don’t let the water freeze in the winter or get too warm when left out in the sun, chickens aren’t too keen on warm water.
- Keep your chicken house clean with fresh bedding and by removing any droppings.
- Clean the house from top to bottom around once a month and keep an eye out for critters like red mites.
- Give your chickens a regular health check; they should have bright eyes and a clean beak, a pale comb, wattles and face. Again, keep an eye out for mites around the vent.
These are just a few quick tips to get you going but there’s plenty more information on our website. If you’re really unsure about where to start with your chickens then why not attend one of our courses?
If you have any questions or queries about our services or products then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, we’ll be more than happy to help!